Excursion to Khor Virap, Noravank, Jermuk

Khor Virap

Duration: 7hrs

 

  Price without guide 

 

  Price with guide  

 

Car (max. 3 passengers)   55 000 AMD   75 000 AMD
Minivan (max. 7 passengers)   65 000 AMD   85 000 AMD

 

Khor Virap ('deep dungeon') is an Armenian monastery located in the Ararat Plain in Armenia, near the border with Turkey.
The monastery was host to a theological seminary and was the residence of Armenian Catholicos.
Khor Virap's notability as a monastery and pilgrimage site is attributed to the fact that Gregory the Illuminator was initially imprisoned here for 13 years by King Trdat III of Armenia. Saint Gregory subsequently became the king's religious mentor, and they led the christian activity in the country. In the year 301, Armenia was the first country in the world to be declared a Christian nation.
A chapel was initially built in 642 at the site of Khor Virap by Nerses III the Builder as a mark of veneration to Saint Gregory. Over the centuries, it was repeatedly rebuilt. In 1662, the larger chapel known as the "St. Astvatsatsin" (Holy Mother of God) was built around the ruins of the old chapel, the monastery, the refectory and the cells of the monks. Now, regular church services are held in this church. It is one of the most visited pilgrimage sites in Armenia.

 

Noravank

Noravank ('new monastery') is a 13th century Armenian monastery, located about 120 km from Yerevan in a narrow gorge made by the Amaghu River, near the town of Yeghegnadzor.

The gorge is known for its tall, sheer, brick-red cliffs, directly across from the monastery.

The monastery is best known for its two-storey Surb Astvatsatsin (Holy Mother of God) Church, which grants access to the second floor by way of a narrow stone-made staircase jutting out from the face of building. In the 13th–14th centuries the monastery became a residence of Syunik's bishops and, consequently, a major religious and, later, cultural center of Armenia closely connected with many of the local seats of learning, especially with Gladzor's famed university and library. Noravank was founded in 1105 by Bishop Hovhannes, a former abbot of Vahanavank near the present-day city of Kapan in Syunik. The monastic complex includes the church of S. Karapet, S. Grigor chapel with a vaulted hall, and the church of S. Astvatsatsin (Holy Mother of God). Ruins of various civil buildings and khachkars are found both inside and outside of the compound walls. Noravank was the residence of the Orbelian princes.

The architect Siranes and the miniature painter and sculptor Momik worked here in the latter part of the thirteenth and early fourteenth century.

 

Jermuk

Jermuk is located in Vayots Dzor Province of Armenia. It takes around 2 hours and a half to get there from capital Yerevan.

Jermuk is a leading Armenian spa city, which annually hosts not only a huge number of tourists but also a myriad of people from all over the world who go there for health and treatment purposes.

 

Jermuk waterfall that falls from a height of 70 meters into the gorge of Arpa River is a true miracle of Armenian Highlands. It reminds of hair flowing freely and therefore locals call it “Mermaid’s hair.”

 

Once in Jermuk, not to miss Gallery of Waters. There are pipes in walls and the water flows from there into stone urns. What happens then is that the water temperature is shown next to the pipe. The waters are different and each of them is believed to have different properties and accordingly, cure of a different disease.

Gndevank is a medieval church complex located on the left bank of Arpa River. It was built in the 10th century. The monastery was initially built as a convent for the hermits of the river gorge. There are 10th-16th century tombs and khatchkars (cross-stones) in the churchyard.

Erebuni hotel

Best Offers
City tour

Duration - 3 hrs